Where can I find high support sports bras?
Chief and Turtle's Head Buyer gives Woman and Home readers advice on finding the right high support sports bra
This week our Head Buyer Danielle gave some key advice on choosing the best high support sports bra in Woman and Home. We all have different wants and needs when it comes to fit and design. But we can all agree on one thing and that is support!! Danielle said, "For a fuller bust, it’s worth going for a wider shoulder strap to protect the shoulders from any digging in. I’d also highly recommend a racer or wide strap cross-back style to help your back support the weight as you move, and to reduce any restriction to shoulder movement."
Danielle also recommended key points she looks out for when buying sports bras in for Chief and Turtle's sports bra range.
1. Double-layer fabric at the front as this will improve the support of the bra.
2. Compression fabric
3. Look for printed label information instead of woven labels as this will reduce rubbing, and flat seams for the same reason.
4. Band elastic should be secured in the seam of the bra so elastic won’t turn in the channel and become twisted or uncomfortable.
5. It might seem obvious, but make sure when you try on that you do some stretching and jumping up and down in the bra to check how it performs in movement, not just that it fits well when standing still.
Here are our top picks here at Chief and Turtle
1. First up is the Essential Sports Bra in Black from Australian brand DK Active, this bra is a wardrobe staple. It is simple and classic but not to be underestimated. This high impact bra is Oeko-Tex certified meaning no harmful chemicals. It's also made from recycled materials and PET bottles. Great for a summer work out as it has the added benefit of being UV protective. This bra has the classic back clasp and slightly wider straps so you don't get the dreaded digging in marks that anyone with a fuller breast knows all too well.
2. The Emma sports bra is another favourite from DK Active, featuring a racer back and simple flattering V neckline design, this style comes in two colour ways, black or navy. This super soft style is made from regenerated nylon, with the added features of muscular support and moisture wicking technology for those intense workouts or errands.
3. High on our list is the Keep it together high impact sports bra from DVR Equestrian. Designed for comfort while riding or other exercise, this bra comes in two colour options. Made from ECONYL® regenerated nylon and Lycra Xtra life, the fabric offers compression technology for a great hold and a racer back design for unrestricted shoulder movement.
4. The Legacy sports bra is another winner for us from DK Active. Not only is this one of the teams favourites (who doesn’t like a polkadot!) but it's also is super comfortable and extremely flattering. The added feature of having removable padding is a huge plus for those that like a padded bra too. This bra also has a lovely thick elastic band and comfortable straps.
5. Our final pick is the Afresh crop from Contur. This lightweight option looks great worn as a longline sports bra, or crop top. These are made in the UK from ECONYL® regenerated nylon, offering muscle compression, oil resistance meaning they wash up beautifully, and Chief and Turtle have a great range of colour options.
We hope you are left feeling more confident about choosing the right bra for you, and inspired by some of our favourites! If you'd like any personalised support with choosing the right bra for you, please do pop us an email, we'd be more than happy to help!